Wednesday, February 18, 2026

AUTHORITIES INVESTIGATING THREAT AT NEELYVILLE SCHOOLS

Authorities in Butler County are investigating a threat made against an area school.

According to Neelyville R-4 Superintendent, Heather Black, earlier this week school officials were made aware of an alleged school safety threat and reported the allegation to law enforcement.

This report is being investigated by the Butler County Sheriff Office with full cooperation from the Neelyville School District.

Black says that at this time, there is no indication of an immediate danger to the schools.

She added that they take these reports seriously and are taking additional steps to ensure a safe educational environment for students, staff, and our community.

Black has also requested additional security assistance from the Butler County Sheriff Office to be on campus this week.

Students, parents, and staff may also notice an increased security presence on campus moving forward, with additional supervision and reinforced safety protocols as school officials work to maintain a safe learning environment for everyone.

Sources at the Butler County Sheriff’s Office could not release any information due to the ongoing investigation.

WOMAN TAKEN INTO CUSTODY AFTER ALLEGEDLY THREATENING TO SHOOT ANOTHER PERSON

A woman has been taken into custody after allegedly threatening to shoot someone in Northeast Arkansas.

According to Clay County Sheriff Ronnie Cole, shortly after 6 pm on Monday, the Sheriff’s Department received a 911 call about a dispute at an apartment complex in St. Francis.

The dispute involved an individual at the apartments, whose father had shown up to take back a vehicle that his son was reportedly not paying for.

During the argument, the father’s girlfriend allegedly pulled a gun and threatened to shoot the individuals at the apartment. The father and girlfriend then left the scene.

A deputy made a felony traffic stop on the subjects on Highway 139, south of Piggott. When the deputies searched the vehicle they found a 12 gauge shotgun.

Cole says that 57 year old Debra Kellums, of Hornersville, was taken into custody and booked into the Clay County Detention Center on a charge of aggravated assault.

POSSIBLE MEASLES EXPOSURE REPORTED AT ST. LOUIS AIRPORT

State health officials are warning Missouri residents about a confirmed case of measles at St. Louis Lambert International Airport.

According to the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, a confirmed case of measles from an out-of-state resident was reported to have traveled through the airport between 5 and 7 p.m. on February 7th following a domestic flight.

The individual was in Terminal 2, at baggage claim, and rode a shuttle to the parking area. Those potentially exposed during the individual’s flight are being notified directly.

Measles is a highly contagious viral illness that typically begins with fever, cough, runny nose, and red and watery eyes. Officials say that one person with measles can easily pass it on to 9 out of 10 people around them who are unvaccinated or do not have natural immunity. 

Symptoms appear 7-14 days, on average, after contact with the virus. Tiny white spots may appear inside the mouth 2-3 days after symptoms begin. Measles rash appears 3 to 5 days after the first symptoms.

All individuals with possible exposures should watch for the symptoms of measles for 21 days, until February 28 in this case. Individuals should report to their local public health agency if symptoms appear.

NORTHEAST ARKANSAS MAN APPOINTED TO STATE BOARD

A Northeast Arkansas man has been appointed to a state board.

Arkansas Governor Sarah Huckabee Sanders announced Tuesday that Kyle Lane, of Paragould, has been appointed to the Board of Trustees of the State Police Retirement System.

Lane will fill a previously vacant position and his term is set to expire July 1, 2028.

DEADLINE EXTENDED TO APPLY FOR GRANTS FOR PROJECT PROM AND GRADUATION

Schools who will be holding Project Prom and Graduation events this year can apply for grant money to help fund the events.

The Southeast Coalition for Roadway Safety is offering grant funding to local schools that choose student lock-in events for Project Prom or High School graduation. Qualifying schools will receive $200 each to assist with event expenses such as location rental, food or entertainment.

The Southeast Coalition has announced that the deadline for applications to be submitted has been extended through February 27th.

For more information, call 573-472-5885 or go online to savemolives.com.

CULVERT REPLACEMENT SCHEDULED FOR TODAY NEAR MALDEN

Road work is scheduled for today on Route MM in Dunklin County.

Missouri Department of Transportation crews will replace a culvert under Route MM between County Road 692 to County Road 684 near Malden.

Weather permitting, work will take place from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. While work takes place, the road will be open to local traffic only.

Next
Next

Tuesday, February 17, 2026